Thursday, September 4, 2008

listening to one hand clapping

I'm sitting in my room. This is where I typically am, thereby I suppose it's a good place to pay attention to some noise. An air conditioning unit just kicked on. "uuUMMMM". The door just clicked from the other side so James must have gone to the bathroom. Faint tap of toilet seat. Guess it's a number two. Some people are chatting at the front door, but I can't hear what they're saying. It's a dude and a girl. Another girl must be down the way, I heard giggles. The air's ambient tone is defined by various pitches of insect and air conditioners. My room has clicks from keyboard keys. I can hear a slight air conditioner noise from the walls as well. Clicks of doors shutting outside is sporadic, but common. More girls chatting. Crickets. Air conditioners.

The elevator beeps me welcome, and the somewhat rattly doors close behind me. I heard a couple clicks above me, and the sound of someone bumping into a sheet of metal. That wobbly low tone. Their is the sound of air flowing and an oscillating whir. Faint. These are the most constant ambient noises. Girls voices from the hallway are reverby and indistinct, a door shutting, muffled. Voices sound like a softened version of the honk chairs make when they rub across linoleum. They peak and overlap in random clumps. The whir stopped and then a pause and the familiar sound of the elevator going down. Nice. Definitely, a steady hum and air flows. I should get off the floor. Its not publicly acceptable to conduct ones duties in an elevator.

Outside my neighbors apartment. Girls describing tequila shot. Several voices, different levels of far away. Someone wants to go to buddha school, this is funny. Someone wants to watch mean girls. The ambient tone is pretty boring, just the same oisen gas they always pump in. And they're out, walking away, pretening i wasn't eavesdropping; I was merely walking around with a laptop.

They're gone. The hallway is not the same. Pretty boring actually. I'm tapping my leg a little to make it interesting, rubbing my hands on the carpet. "shh.. shhh.. shhh..."

No comments: